The Rural Summer Immersion Program took place June 3-14 in the Middle Peninsula region of the AHEC of the Rappahannock Region. AHEC Scholars were given top priority for this program.
The goal of the rural immersion program was multifaceted and included current healthcare students a unique opportunity to:
- Learn about healthcare in rural hospitals and other care facilities
- Discover advanced telehealth capabilities
- Work with community-based organizations
- Navigate interdisciplinary teams
- Address opioid misuse in rural communities
- Experience life in small towns and rural areas
Such opportunities serve to foster a connection between the students and the people and atmosphere of the rural community, optimistically resulting in their intent to live and work in an underserved area upon graduation.